Turning Leadership into Action
Leading growth in a new reality.
As companies create innovative ways to accelerate business growth, CMOs must actively upgrade their own skill sets to influence the growth agenda.
To help CMOs make better-informed decisions, the ANA has invested heavily in the development of the CMO Growth Champions Forum, in partnership with Jim Stengel, former global chief marketing officer at Procter & Gamble and founder of the Jim Stengel Company.
This compendium summarizes some of the key insights and personal advice that CMOs shared privately with their peers during the initial sessions of the CMO Growth Champions Forum, as well as helpful tips and lessons learned.
To focus this initiative, we asked CMOs representing a cross-section of industry and company size to identify the top needs that are specific to their unique responsibilities as head of their company’s marketing function. They said finding effective ways to restart business growth (using new decision-making and scenario-planning tools), building a digitally savvy organization, and navigating the C-suite are among the top priorities. Contributing chief marketers included:
Navigating the C-Suite:
- Linda Boff, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Vice President, Learning and Culture, and President, GE Foundation at GE
- Frank Cooper, Senior Managing Director and Global Chief Marketing Officer at BlackRock
- Norman de Greve, Chief Marketing Officer at CVS Health
- Melissa Grady, Chief Marketing Officer at Cadillac
- Jann Schwarz, Global Director of The B2B Institute @ LinkedIn
- Greg Welch, Senior Partner and Practice Leader at Spencer Stuart
Building a Digitally Savvy Organization:
- Erin Condon, Vice President, Front Store and Omnichannel Marketing at CVS Health
- George Hammer, Chief Content Officer at IBM
- Chris Hollander, Chief Marketing Officer/SVP at Panera
- Raja Rajamannar, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and President, Healthcare Business at Mastercard
- Randi Stipes, CMO at Watson Advertising, The Weather Company, Developer Marketing at IBM
- Deborah Wahl, Global Chief Marketing Officer, at GM